Community Education Counsellors (CEC) work specifically within the indigenous school community to support individual students and families, who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, in their academic, wellbeing, cultural and spiritual growth.
Support may include:
- Contact with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community and Elders.
- Education of students and the school community regarding the culture of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and Australian peoples.
- Implementing culturally sensitive programs and learning opportunities.
- Liaising with non-government community agencies to assist students and their families in accessing support.
- Celebrations and commemorations of events that are significant to Aboriginal peoples and Torres Strait Islander peoples.