Building on strong foundations in Years 2-4
Literacy and Numeracy is the core business of our college, in every room, in all eight key learning areas, for every student, for every teacher of –Year 2 to Year 4. With this as our foundation, we are able to provide quality learning pathways for all students.
In Years 2 to 4:
- we implement explicit teaching practices in the delivery of reading, writing and numeracy on a daily basis, using a variety of methods, strategies and approaches
- consolidation of core concepts is a daily focus
- students access modern technology in the classroom and in designated computer laboratories and the STEM Hub
- teachers continually monitor and assess to identify individual students’ learning needs and
- teachers who are supported through coaching and mentoring to maintain high professional standards.
Intervention programs in literacy and numeracy target students who need extra support to achieve academic targets. These benchmarks are aligned to and beyond National standards and support expected targets in the National Curriculum.
Solid foundations for your child’s future academic and social/emotional success are built in Years 2 to 4 at Western Cape College.